Wednesday, September 3, 2008

References/Commentaires/Bewertungen

Corey Laplante,  United States.
It turned out to be a blessing that my first two months in Lima were spent at Gloria's house. Not only was Gloria consistently helpful, showing me around town and always making sure I was doing ok, but Magdalena is a great place to live. It is a quieter town that allows you walk everywhere (supermarket, drycleaners, gym etc...). And for those places I couldn't walk to, buses are just a block away. All in all, it turned out to be a great location, with an always-courteous host. Oh, and the bed is quite comfy too!

Leonard Goff,  United States.
I stayed briefly with Gloria during a stopover in Lima on my way to La Paz, Bolivia. Gloria was very welcoming and fun to talk to. She speaks fluent Spanish and English, and she patiently helped me with my Spanish. The house was very pretty, comfortable, and had wireless internet access. Thanks so much!

Louise Rosie McIntosh, Scotland.
In January I spent a few weeks in Lima and was lucky to find Gloria's lovely flat online. It is situated on a tranquil tree lined street in one of the more affluent areas of the city and even in the evenings I felt safe walking there. Less than five minutes from the flat are patisseries, supermarkets, banks, a good selection of taxis and most of the main bus links.

The flat itself is fabulous and very secure. It is bright and clean with a really peaceful atmosphere and some of Gloria's artworks decorate the walls giving the place a unique style. Unlike many places in Lima, there is always hot water in the shower and I was relieved to find a hairdryer too, as well as cooking and laundry facilities. And on sunny days the private terrace is a perfect place to relax.

I felt sad when it was time to return home, as staying at Gloria's was one of the main highlights of my holiday. It was much more than a place to sleep. I had my own space and didn't feel like a lodger. It felt like home. That's because of Gloria's Peruvian hospitality and warm heart. When you meet her you'll know what I mean.


Esther, Roberto and Isabella Cavalieri, United States, Italy, Japan.
Thanks to your kind hospitality, our stay in Lima was simply nothing short of fabulous and among my favorite memories this decade. We truly felt that we were living in a home and not a rental and appreciate everything that you did to make our stay flawless.
It was wonderful to find out about the best places in Lima as well as the cafes and nightlife from you and Isabella was simply ecstatic with Santiago and talk about him everyday.
I have been telling all my friends about you and your beautiful place where we all felt very safe and secure every
day and so happy that we could walk to the Metro or Vivanda everyday and be able to come back and cook every night.
I hope to see you soon and for sure when we all come back to Lima.
Thanks again.

Scott Friesen, Canada.

I had a great stay in here. The place was very clean, secure and comfortable. I felt at home in here the entire time. Gloria the owner was very cool and accomodating and always trying to help me. I have the best experience I could in Lima. I definetely recomend it.

Maria Del Carmen Chero, Peru.

Glorias place is very nice, my boyfriend and I stayed for a couple of weeks and we felt at home. This place have a perfect acomodation for a couple, we could feel at home and very independent at the same time. It is very well located, near supermarkets, aand it is very quiet safe area.
Gloria is very nice and she made feel us very welcome. This place is totally recomendable. We have had a very good time.
Jose Henriquez, El Salvador.
Nice place… Perfect location… Great atmosphere… A wonderful host! You will love Casa Retablo!


Leander Hollings, England.
The Casa Retablo is a beautiful home from home for me which has
recently being very renovated and is very tastefully decorated.
Whenever I stay in Lima I always choose to go back there. The house is
situated in a quiet suburb of Lima, Magdalena del Mar which is a very
convenient location for anyone interested in visiting the centre of
Lima. You can see the beautiful flowers surrounding the white house
from the end of the street! . It is a delight to be around the owner
Gloria who is running a little guest house as well as bringing
up her delightful child Santiago. The Casa is light and simple and
always full of good energy. If you would be interested in hearing more
about my experience staying there please don't hesitate to contact me
on leanderhollings@hotmail.com. I can more than recommend it!


Marco Schembari, Italy.
“Un buon modo per sentirti a casa tua pur essendo a 10000
km di distanza. La casa è carina,accogliente e con tutti i
comfort, Gloria è una ragazza dal cuore grande, sempre
disponibile ed attenta. E’ anche un ottima maniera per
ambientarti perché, oltre a creare una bella atmosfera con
gli altri abitanti della casa, Gloria ti farà  conoscere
persone simpatiche ed interessanti, locali carini ed eventi
assai interessanti.”


Shannon Sutton and Paul, Canada.
http://travelsinperu.wordpress.com/
Gloria's beautiful house was my home away from home for 2 months in Lima. I could not have found a more perfect place or a kinder hostess. The Magdalena area is fantastic - grocery stores, coffee shops, a yoga studio, gym, laundry, delicious restaurants, Spanish schools and coastal bike trails are all nearby.  I met many amazing people in the house during my time there, and our many evenings out included local penas, salsa dancing, theatre and, of course, eating. The highlight, however, was meeting Gloria. She made my arrival in Lima a breeze and repeatedly went out of her way to ensure that we were all taken care of. I cannot recommend her place highly enough.


Megan Son, U.S, Korea, France.
http://www.qhapaq-nan.com/
"Buena gente." This is what Gloria told me when I first inquired about moving into her charming house in Magdalena del Mar en Lima. Whatever doubts I may have had were soon diminished within days of moving in. She was right, and my 2 month stay in Casa Retablo was like finding a small family of like-minded people - socially-conscious but edgy, open-minded but far from the backpacker set, serious when necessary in work or study but ready to have a good time. In a tranquil, safe neighborhood just "far" enough from the touristic streets of Miraflores, but still close enough to easily access and with all the necessary amenities within a short walk away, Casa Retablo is highly recommendable for that person looking for something a touch different in Lima. And Gloria? Buena gente totalmente.

Kirstie Quinnin, England.
"I didn''t know what to expect when I arrived in Lima.  I'm not someone who is used to travelling long distances.  So when I arrived at Casa Retablo, any concerns I had about being so far away were immediately alleviated by the warm and friendly welcome I received from Gloria.

Casa Retablo is a very comfortable, spacious place to stay and kept in an immaculate condition.  Gloria is a wonderful host and went  out of her way to make sure I had a great experience in terms of staying at the guesthouse and exploring the city of Lima.

I would (and have been vociferously!) recommend Casa Retablo to anyone travelling to Lima for a little bit of home away from home!"

Brian Del Bono visiting from San Francisco, CA
http://briandelbono.tumblr.com
Casa Retablo is an effortless home-away-from-home for any traveler visiting Lima. I stayed two glorious weeks at the house and it was more than comfortable. The house is located in a very charming neighborhood with plenty of fantastic dining options within three blocks. The area and house are both very safe and secure, with two major reference points for travelers to recommend to the taxi drivers (Lima Cricket and Vivanda on Av. Javier Prado).

Gloria is truly an angel when it comes to making sure her guests are comfortable, safe, and of-course having lots fun in Lima. She is so sweet, kind, organized and caring.

The house is very well kept and the rooms are delightful. The kitchen is more than enough to cook some fantastic meals, and the living space is a great place to converse with fellow travelers or to just curl up with a good, relaxing read. Definitely a must for anybody looking for an authentic and enjoyable trip to Lima.
Thanks Gloria!

Allison Wucher, San Francisco/Providence, USA
I came to Lima on my own for 3 months as part of a travel grant to study Peruvian Retablos, and what better place to stay than a guesthouse called Casa Retablo!
Casa Retablo was the most reliable, fun, relaxing, comfortable, and enjoyable part of my stay in Lima. Not only is the guesthouse itself well maintained, beautiful, and comfortable, the owner, Gloria, is incredible. She is helpful, passionate, and fun and we became friends during my stay here. She will make you feel welcome and at home. She is especially wonderful for the solo traveler because she will include you and invite you along for whatever adventure she has planned for the evening. The guesthouse itself has all the modern conveniences that you could hope for and it is close to a supermarket, bus stops, parks, and good restaurants. You will never feel lost because Gloria is excellent at helping you “get your bearings” in the sprawling, hectic metropolis that is Lima. If you want to stay in a place where you truly feel like you are at home and where you will have someone to always rely on then Casa Retablo is the place to be. The time I spent here is filled with memories I cherish: incredible meals with other guests, great discussions, and just generally good, fulfilling experiences. I highly recommend it for solo travelers, couples, and families of any age, color, or creed. PERFECTO!

Louise Whitaker, England.
Gloria's guesthouse is a little sanctuary in Lima, it's just gorgeous and a lovely place to unpack for a while. It was great being able to make my own food and have some personal space. Gloria and her family are fantastic. I am looking to work with artisans in Peru and Gloria has a whole heap of knowledge that she was only too happy to share. Also, because her place is so beautifully done, so reasonably priced and so friendly, there were other people staying who turned out to have similar values and ideas so it was great to share these. I would thoroughly recommend staying there...even if it is just for the best pisco sours in Lima! 

Ksenia Bolshova,  Russia
Три месяца в Лиме.... три замечательных месяца, и замечательных, главным образом, благодаря моему дому! Глория, хозяйка, назвала его "домик - вертеп". Это ещё и вид перуанских поделок...
Местоположение -  удобное, в самом безопасном районе Лимы, где расположены все посольства. Рядом - магазины, банки, салоны красоты, океан совсем рядом... Очень удобные комнаты, дом двухэтажный, всё чисто, нет отвлекающих факторов (таких как магистрали, стройки или вечно пьяные соседи, что в этой стране частенько встречается..)
Но самое волшебное - это не форма, а содержание! В этот дом никогда не приезжают  плохие люди, это феноменально. У меня довольно кочевой образ жизни, и приходилось жить с совершенно невозможными соседями... Здесь же - три месяца сплошных положительных эмоций!
Отдельно следует сказать о хозяйке дома - честной, радушной, делающей всё для комфорта своих клиентов. На самом деле мы не чувствовали себя клиентами, но друзьями, большой семьёй. Глория нам показывала город, мы вместе ездили на вечеринки, в самые лучшие места Лимы, не туристические, а такие, где по-настоящему можно почувствовать Перу. Это просто незабываемо. 

Leonissa Belmar, Canada
http://www.belmartradingco.com/
"I recently visited Lima and stayed at the lovely guesthouse Casa Retablo. I was touched by the warmth, hospitality 
of both the owner and guests. Casa Retablo provides their guests a home away from home offering great services and truly accomodated
my stay. "

Samantha Duncan, Australia and Alex Hitch, USA
We were looking for reasonably priced, longer-term accommodation in Lima and were fortunate enough to be recommended Casa Retablo by friends who had already been impressed by the cosy and homely nature of Gloria's little oasis in Magdelena del Mar. 
 The house is just that - a little oasis - and after a month of the most comfortable sleep we have had in 10 months in Peru (no kidding!), we are recommending Casa Retablo to anyone and everyone we meet!  The house is just beautifully set and decorated, extremely clean, has a great easy-to-use kitchen, and has a fantastic energy that makes it feel like home.  There are supermarkets, the cheaper Mercado Magdelena, a good selection of restaurants and the ocean all nearby, and of course high-speed wireless internet.  Gloria herself is one of the main attractions, and has gone to all ends throughout our stay to provide us with anything and everything we have needed, and is a wealth of information and contacts within Lima itself.  I think there is nothing left to say other than thank you Gloria for having us stay - and we will definitely be keeping in contact and returning as soon as we possibly can! 
Claudio Romero, Chile 
Huaraz by Claudio









Vicky Armstrong, England
I had a lovely one night stopover at Casa Retablo in October. I'd stayed in Miraflores last time I came to Lima and hadn't enjoyed it too much so I was expecting to feel the same this time and was very pleasantly surprised! Casa Retablo is in a really peaceful part of Lima (which I understand is hard to find!). Gloria had arranged for me to be picked up from the airport by a local taxi driver who was really friendly and chatted to me all the way to Casa Retablo. When I arrived, Gloria showed me around the house which is clean and  comfortable and encouraged me to treat it as my own home - she is really friendly and helpful. The house is only a short walk from parks and the seafront, with yoga classes nearby and a delicious bakery with amazing sandwiches and cakes...I was in heaven there! In the evening, Gloria had a arranged a little party with some friends and some of the other guests, some of whom are long term, living and working in Lima. It was a very international evening, with a French man, an Italian girl, an American, an Argentinian and myself, an English girl. Everyone was really friendly and I had to drag myself to bed at midnight because I had a flight to catch at 4am the next day to Iquitos! I would definitely recommend staying at Casa Retablo, it is in a good location and is the friendliest place I have stayed in my time in Peru.

Cintia Garai, Hungary
I lived in Casa Retablo for one month in one of its studios. I can recommend it to anyone who is looking for a friendly, peaceful place. It is not far from the center, and there are very nice places around it to go for a stroll in the evenings. It has a safe countryside.
In the house everyone has his or her own place, but sometimes we got together for a party or just to have a common dinner. Gloria, the owner of the house is always ready to help if you need something, like finding a place in Lima, and she is eager to make the house even more homelike.
Anyway, I felt at home and lucky to find this place.
Cintia from Hungary.

Lou-Ann Dube, Canada
J'ai eu le plaisir d'habiter la jolie maison de Gloria pendant 4 mois lors de mon séjour à Lima, au Pérou. Cette maison est comme un havre de paix dans le tumulte de cette grande ville. Elle a l'avantage de se trouver dans un quartier sécuritaire tout en étant près de tous les services (épicerie, pharmacie, restaurants, poste et buanderie à 3 minutes de marche). En plus, la mer est à quatre pâtés, et son odeur parvient jusqu'à la maison les soirs de brise. C'est une maison décorée avec goût et soin, on s'y repose. Gloria est une femme formidable et attachante. Non seulement elle nous offre un logis, mais aussi plein de conseils sur la vie à Lima et sur les endroits à visiter au pays. Je recommande cet endroit sans hésiter et j'espère moi-même y retourner!

Francesca Caonero, Italy
Nell'ultimo anno e mezzo ho vissuto a casa di Gloria. Ho fatto un po il tour di tutte le abitazioni e in tutte mi sono trovata ugualmente bene. La casa é molto carina, ben curata e ha personalità. L'ambiente é anche fantastico: attrae sempre persone da tutto il mondo che sono interessanti, tranquille ma che come me per lavoro o per piacere stanno esplorando il mondo. Gloria é disponibilissima e sempre pronta a aiutare con qualsiasi necessità: sia un consiglio di viaggio o qualsiasi altra cosa uno abbia bisogno. Quanto all'ubicazione della casa, questa é a due passi da Miraflores e San Isidro con il vantaggio che il quartiere dove si trova é a misura d'uomo. Dietro l'angolo c'é pizza hut, starbucks e San Antonio che é una fantastica pasticceria. Ugualmente a due passi ci sono due supermercati, farmacie, ristoranti e piccoli negozi di frutta, verdura e pane per le emergenze. Raccomando vivamente il soggiorno in questa casa...e se non fosse che debba andarmene resterei volentieri un altro anno!!!

I've been living at Gloria's for more than a year an half now and I am loving it! The house is extremly pretty, well cared for and it has the power to attract enjoyable and cool people from all the world. Gloria is always ready to help with anything from personal issues to anything you need to make your stay more confortable and nice. She also provides you with very insightful tips in the event that you go out and explore the country. The district itself it's very centric, but doesn't share all the traffic and noise that you would get in Miraflores. San Antonio (an amazing patisserie), la Antojeria (reasonably cheap and good quality food) and Vivanda / Metro (two supermarkets) are two blocks away should you run out of food or need a coffee and a good dessert. Pizza Hut, Starbucks and small grocery stores are also around the corner. I truly recommend staying at Gloria's and I am quite sad about leaving! I wouldn't if I had to!

Pia Von Berlepsch ,Germany
I stayed at Gloria's house for 3 months and I really enjoyed it. The house is located in a very nice, quiet and calm neighborhood, not far away from the district of Miraflores and San Isidro. The house is beautiful, with an excellent atmosphere and one can notice Gloria's love for details. From the first day on, I felt like I was at home and I can't wait to come and stay again. Thank you Gloria for this perfect and wonderful stay at your house!

Justyna Bembnista, Austria 
Das Schicksal wollte es wohl so, dass ich für meinen 4-Monatigen Aufenthalt in Lima gleich als Erstes auf Glorias Haus im Internet stieß und das Zimmer auch sofort bekam. Damals ahnte ich noch nicht, was für ein Glück ich hatte, dass ich im Casa Retablo Unterschlupf gefunden hab. Das Haus ist wunderschön, gemütlich und Gloria ist stets bemüht, dass es einem an nichts fehlt. Magdalena del Mar ist einer der besten Bezirke zum Leben in Lima, da es ruhig, schön, sicher, zentral, gleich am Pazifik und mit sehr guter Anbindung ans Historische Zentrum, Miraflores und Barranco ist, ohne direkt mitten im Trubel zu sein. Wenn man sich intensiver mit der kulturellen Seite Limas beschäftigen möchte, ist Gloria einfach der wunderbarste Guide. Sie zeigte mir von Beginn an das kulturelle, historische, alternative Lima und brachte mir das komplexe Wesen Perus nahe, wie keine andere Person in dieser Zeit. Wenn man ein Haus mit weltoffenen, kreativen und friedliebenden Menschen in einem multikulturellen Umfeld sucht, in dem jeder die Privatsphäre des anderen respektiert und gleichzeitig für tiefgründige Gespräche bei einem Wein über Gott und die Welt zu haben ist, ist hier goldrichtig. Dieses Haus samt ihrer Mitbewohner ist eine Perle mitten im Herzen Limas und absolut empfehlenswert.
Justyna Bembnista, Austria. 

Akshataa Vishwanath, India

Dec 11

I was staying at Gloria's for a month during my visit to Lima, and I have only fond memories. It was my first visit to Peru (and South America), and I was travelling alone, but everything about the house and people made me feel at home right from the beginning.

The apartment is bright, homely and very well maintained. The bedroom is cozy (really comfortable bed!), the kitchen is well equipped, and the bathroom is nice and clean with hot water at all times in the shower. The house has a beautiful terrace and shared living room area.

It is situated on Magdalena del Mar, which is a very safe, peaceful residential area, and is at a short walking distance from supermarkets, laundromats, ATMs and bike rental shops.

Gloria was a wonderful hostess, and did everything to make me comfortable during my stay. Apart from that, she is a really warm and friendly person, and great to talk to. She speaks fluent English and Spanish. 

I made quite a few friends while living at Gloria's, and would love to visit Lima again. When that time comes, I can't think of a better place to stay at.

Andreas Pecnick, Suiza

Ein liebevoll eingerichtetes Haus im Kolonialstil mit unkomplizierter Vermieterin. Für ebenso unkomplizierte Leute, die Lima gern von der internationalen Seite erleben möchten, ist diese Option auf jeden Fall empfehlenswert.